I went back to work today after 12 wonderful weeks of maternity leave getting to hangout with my two little boys (do you see the cuteness in this picture…I can’t even stand it!). I want to start this post by saying I am one of the few blessed with a job that enables me to find balance between my career and my kids. I get to work from home twice a week and I have an amazing boss who doesn’t bat an eye if I need to leave work early for an appointment or come in late if I need to. On top of all of this I also have the best nanny named Amy (but seriously y’all she’s also a photographer so I get the best pictures of my boys regularly).
I say all of this to say that even with all of these benefits, balancing work life and home life is HARD. I mean working a 40 hour a week job and trying to cook, clean, do laundry for 4 and maintain a house is just a LOT. And then trying to find time on top of all of that for self care seems laughable right? But the thing is I am a much better person when I take care of myself too. It always reminds me of how on an airplane they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first in case of an emergency. You can’t help anyone else if you’re passed out due to lack of oxygen. So take a hint and put on your oxygen mask first. This feels so counter intuitive to most women because we want to take care of others (especially our kiddos and significant others) first. However, over time I’m getting better at this.
Here are some of my favorite ways to take care of me. I would love to hear about yours.
- Work out. I’m currently really into Orange Theory but you can do anything. Take a walk, go on a jog, a hike, do yoga at home during your kids nap (if you have kids).
- Take a bath. Light some candles (current favorite is here. They’re candles that double as lotion. Golden Amber is my favorite scent but Appalachian Forest is a close second and the Frasier Fur is pretty awesome for Christmas), grab your favorite drink and a good book (currently reading The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans…it AMAZING) and get some bubble bath, a bath fizzy or some essential oils (I love Clove for Christmas but Lavender is a go to favorite for the tub) and just RELAX.
- Get a massage or facial. I’m part of the Hiatus Spa’s H-Circle and I love it. Basically for $69/month I get a spa service of my choosing. It keeps me accountable to myself to make sure I’m taking out some time for me every month. Unfortunately, Hiatus is only in Texas currently but I bet a spa near you has a similar deal.
- Journal or blog. There are very few things that are as cathartic as writing for me. Somehow getting everything on paper and out of my brain really helps.
- Grab dinner or drinks with a girlfriend.
Leave a comment with your favorite form of self care below :).